As we bid farewell to 2023 and step into the new year, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the incredible progress we’ve made together to transform health and inspire hope for all Virginians and beyond.
First and foremost, a massive thank you to each and every one of you for contributing to our success at UVA Health. I’m proud to share a few of our many achievements in 2023 toward our goal of achieving superior patient outcomes and becoming a best place to work:
- Achieved an 'A' Hospital Safety Grade from The Leapfrog Group at all four medical centers at UVA Health.
- Welcomed 3,001 new team members and increased our retention rate by 2.5%. Human Resources broke the record for orientation attendees 6 times this year!
- Opened a new transplant clinic space in the West Complex.
- Expanded child care services at the Malcolm Cole Child Care Center.
- Implemented the Excellence Driven Initiative in our Emergency Department (ED).
- Welcomed the new and improved Pegasus Air helicopter.
- Announced a new UVA Children’s Neurodevelopmental and Behavioral Clinic.
- Expanded the Earn While You Learn program to include 2 new programs, Sterile Processing Technician and MRI Technician.
- Started implementation of the six ideas selected in the Spark Innovation Competition, an opportunity for faculty and staff to bring positive change to UVA Health's culture.
The accomplishments above only scratch the surface of everything we’ve achieved in 2023. At the December Medical Center Management Group (MCMG) meeting, Chief Operating Officer Min Lee dedicated nearly an hour to reviewing even more of what we’ve accomplished.
I highly recommend taking the time to watch the recording of the December MCMG segment. Let’s reflect on our incredible achievements across the medical center – they are the stepping stones for what lies ahead in 2024. Your hard work, passion, and commitment make me incredibly proud to lead this outstanding team.
Here's to another year of success and growth!
Take care and be well,
P.S., Have ideas for how we can continue our mission of transforming health and inspiring hope for all Virginians and beyond in 2024? Share your thoughts with me through the Be Heard Suggestion Box!